Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sight in the Smoke and Darkness


 
A very long and exceedingly dark shadow was cast over our days when; in the early days of the New Testament Church the Apostle Paul wrote “For the mystery of iniquity doeth already work:” (II Thessalonians 2:7). And the Apostle John wrote “Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now there are many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. (I John 2:18) Also under the fifth trumpet, the pit (or Hell) has been opened and the smoke of the pit has further darkened the sun and the air (Revelation 9:1-3) which means the unleavened or pure doctrine of Christ has been obscured by “seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;” (I Timothy 4:1). Now with the thick smoke of the pit obscuring the view of truth, and the mystery of iniquity having already worked for over two thousand years, and the number of antichrists ever increasing, one might despair of finding any such thing as a sure truth!                                 
          Such days, are the days in which we live. But even in these dark days there is reason for hope; for the fall and ruin of antichrist is sure, though it is not yet come to pass. Satan’s ruin is foretold by the prophets of God; for Satan is to be bound for one thousand years, then loosed and let out to deceive the nations again, then apprehended, judged and damned to all eternity and never allowed to deceive again. But more immediately we have the written word of God, which is the only sure light in this dark place: moreover, the Holy Ghost has not quit his good office, of regenerating the redeemed. The children of God were redeemed by the blood of the Son of God; and must be regenerated in order to restore the nature of the children of God in them, which nature they lost in their fall in sin in Adam.(II Peter 1:4; II Peter 1:2; II Thessalonians 2:13)
            A pertinent question for writer and reader is: what assurance, have I that it is well with my soul? As for the writer, I know that I am a sinner; and I know that “Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners:” (I Timothy 1:15). Secondly: the promise of eternal life is to the believer: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.” (John 6: 47); and “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God:” (I John 5:1). I do not trust my own heart in this matter; for I know that my own heart is “deceitful and desperately wicked” (Jeremiah 17:9) then to whom should one trust? The scriptures tell us that “as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God, (Romans 8:14) and to whom does the Spirit of God lead? The Spirit of God will glorify the Lord Jesus, for Christ satih “He (the Holy Spirit) shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.” (John 16:14) Therefore as long as one is led to Christ Jesus for all wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption; (I Corinthians 1:30) he must know that he is led of the Spirit of God, and may trust that he is a son of God. Thirdly: “There is none that seeketh after God,” (Romans 3:10, 11); so; since I know that I sought God, and none (in fallen nature) seek God, why did I seek him? It must be something out of self and not of me; since none seek after God, then what caused me to seek that which I would never seek? It is God, in Jesus Christ who promised to search and seek out his church and people “For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, (people) and seek them out.” (Ezekiel 34: 11) and “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10)
A.J.Ison

No comments:

Post a Comment